Mark Owens, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of New Testament Theology
Dr. Mark Owens teaches New Testament and Bible minor courses in the School of Biblical and Theological Studies. Prior to serving at Cedarville, he taught for four years at Luther Rice College & Seminary. His Ph.D. research focused on Paul's conception of new creation in Galatians, 2 Corinthians, and Ephesians. His current research focuses on Paul's letter to the church in Ephesus. He is also interested in biblical theology and the theological interpretation of Scripture. Throughout his teaching, he seeks to help students wrestle with the biblical text within the larger canonical framework and appreciate the relevance of the biblical text for the life of the Church.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D. in New Testament Studies, University of Aberdeen
- Th.M. in New Testament Studies, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
- M.Div., Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
- B.Sc. in Social Science Education, University of Georgia
View a listing of scholarly works in the Cedarville University Digital Commons »
'Behold, I Make All Things New': An Intertextual Analysis of New Creation in Galatians, 2 Corinthians, and Ephesians (Mark D. Owens) Faculty Dissertations (2012)
Anti-Judaism, John the Baptist, and the Gospel of John (Mark D. Owens) Biblical and Theological Studies Faculty Publications (2006)
As It Was in the Beginning: An Intertextual Analysis of New Creation in Galatians, 2 Corinthians, and Ephesians (Mark D. Owens) Faculty Books (2015)
Spiritual Warfare and the Church's Mission according to Ephesians 6:10-17 (Mark D. Owens) Tyndale Bulletin (2016)
Institutional Racism, 'Horizontal Spiritual Warfare,' and Ephesians 6:10-17 (Mark D. Owens) Evangelical Theological Society's 2017 Annual Meeting (2017)
- Interests: Volleyball, running, fishing, reading, traveling
- Why I'm at Cedarville: I suppose what excites me most about serving at Cedarville are its commitment to Jesus Christ, Scripture, and the Gospel. The opportunity to teach the Bible at an institution that emphasizes all those things AND a liberal arts education makes being here a rich blessing!