About the Bachelor of Arts in PreLaw Degree
Why Study Prelaw at Cedarville?
Cedarville’s distinctly Christian pre law major provides you with a classic liberal arts education while studying contemporary legal systems in a biblical context. You will be prepared to succeed in law school and ready to influence the world for Christ, wherever He leads you.Request Info Visit
What Sets Cedarville Apart?
Biblical WorldviewThe Bible is the authority for research and study in every class you'll take.
Mentoring Christian FacultyYou'll be taught by highly-credentialed professors who want you to succeed.
Top Placement RatesOur graduates achieve top career and grad school placement rates — 10% above the national average.
Preparedness – Your coursework will be prepare you to develop critical thinking and analytic skills needed to pass the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT) and to succeed in law school.
Practical Experience – Internships and co-curricular organizations will enhance your educational experience.
Broad – With a wide range of courses, from business to history to professional writing, you will graduate well-rounded and ready for law school.
Biblical – You will discover how the institution of law fits into God’s plan for justice, and you will learn best law practices from a biblical perspective.
We're proud of our successful graduates. A three-year average of 96% of Cedarville graduates were employed or in graduate school within six months of graduation. Check out Cedarville's other placement rates.
What Can You Do With a PreLaw Degree?
PreLaw graduates pursue further education at law schools, enabling them to gain career positions with private law firms, businesses, and the government. Legal training is also applicable in a variety of nonprofit and Christian organizations that utilize the courts to pursue a variety of humanitarian causes as well as biblical justice where it is lacking.
The success of our PreLaw program can be seen in the accomplishments of our students:
- Our students continue to place in the top 10 percent in the nation on the LSAT.
- 100 percent of our senior applicants were accepted to law school for the last 10 years (compared to an 80 percent national average).
In recent years, Cedarville students have been accepted to top law schools including:
- Capital University
- Chapman University
- Harvard University
- Indiana University
- Michigan State University
- The Ohio State University
- University of Minnesota
- University of South Carolina
- Washington and Lee University
Opportunities to Learn Outside the Classroom
Internships - Internships in the field of law usually involve positions in law firms, judge’s chambers, and prosecutor’s offices. An internship will help you decide what career options to pursue, help to build your résumé, and provide experience that sets you apart from others you will be competing against in the job market.
D.C. Semester - You can join fellow students and a faculty member for a life-changing experience of learning, development, and service in a semester spent in Washington, D.C.
The Center for Political Studies - The Center for Political Studies provides a biblical response to political and social issues of our day. You will be connected with the political world as you are exposed to expert speakers and the Center’s Christ-centered research.
Student Organizations - Student organizations complement your coursework with opportunities to meet and learn from like-minded students and professionals.
- Alpha Delta Nu provides the opportunity to enhance your professional development.
- Cedarville Legal Society provides a biblical view of justice in the pursuit of a law degree by sponsoring educational activities related to pursuing a legal career, establishing relationships with students with common career goals, and promoting the profession of law to Cedarville students.
- Epsilon Pi Lambda provides opportunities for students to grow in their appreciation of the fields of history and government and provide an outlet for pursuing knowledge, obtaining academic support, gaining fellowship, and providing service.
- Omega Mu is the Cedarville University chapter of Pi Sigma Alpha, the National Pre-law Honor Society. It is the goal of this honor society to promote the scholarly investigation of politics and to assist its members in developing their leadership potential in their sphere of influence.
Building on your core liberal arts and Bible minor courses, you will take a set of core courses from varied fields of study, including accounting, philosophy, business law, history, political science, and professional writing.
- Jurisprudence - Philosophy of Law
- Qualitative Methodology and Reasoning
Program Format and Related Programs
Cedarville offers both graduate and undergraduate programs, with flexible completion options. You may also want to consider these related programs as you consider the degree or program that is a best fit for you.
From Our Students:
A one-of-a-kind program is vetting college students for careers in law enforcement, and Cedarville University criminal justice majors are taking full advantage.
Cedarville 2017 alumna Christina Kirkpatrick Gay will begin a yearlong clerkship in July with Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court John Roberts.