Tom Hutchison, Ph.D.Professor of Christian Education
Dr. Thomas Hutchison joined the faculty of Cedarville University in 1995, where he currently serves as Professor of Christian Education. He brings to the classroom eight years of pastoral ministry experience including work in all areas of Christian education, youth ministry, and focused adult ministries. Teaching a combination of church ministry, theology, and general Bible courses provides opportunity to integrate this experience with academic studies in theology and education. His passion is to help those serving in the church teach the Word of God more effectively. Around campus he contributes leadership development, especially in areas of personality styles and team building. In addition, he and his wife have worked with the Fit to Be Tied program for more than 20 years, helping prepare engaged couples for marriage.
Education and Credentials
Ph.D. in Education, Marquette University
M.Div., Grand Rapids Theological Seminary
B.A. in Mathematics with secondary-level teaching certification, Cedarville University
- Adult Education in the Church: An Analysis of Student Perceptions of Classroom Environment (Thomas Hutchison) Faculty Dissertations (1997)
- Johann Friedrich Herbert: Morality as the Task of Education (Eddie K. Baumann and Thomas Hutchison) Education Faculty Publications (2016)
- Ministry to Millenials (Thomas Hutchison) Beulah region, OARBC pastors (2015)
- Leadership for Effective Church Ministries (Thomas Hutchison) STEPS Seminar (Seminar Training to Equip People for Service), Cedarville University (2011)
- Extreme Makeover: Exploring the Process of Spiritual Transformation (Thomas Hutchison) ACSI Mid-Atlantic Region Conference (2005)
View a listing of scholarly works in the Cedarville University Digital Commons »
Hutch and his wife, Amy, have three children, all of whom are current students or alumni of Cedarville University.
He enjoys being a spectator for sports, music, and theatre; time in the woods hunting deer; and driving his Miata.
Why I'm at Cedarville: My experience as a student at Cedarville University significantly influenced me academically, vocationally, and spiritually. After serving the Lord through student life in Christian higher education as well as in the church, the opportunity to help prepare students to teach God’s Word and serve in a variety of ministries suited my God-given passions and experience well. I continue to appreciate the students I teach here at Cedarville. They consistently tend to be adept learners with a hunger to grow and influence others for Christ.