Brandon Smith, Ph.D.Assistant Professor of Theology and New Testament
Dr. Brandon Smith joined the faculty at Cedarville University in fall 2019 after spending the previous four years helping lead the Christian Standard Bible translation and as an elder at a church in the Nashville area. He also helped found the Center for Baptist Renewal and hosts the Church Grammar podcast. His research interests include the Trinity, canonical and theological interpretation, and patristic theology.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D. in Theology, Ridley College (Melbourne)
- M.A. in Biblical and Theological Studies, Criswell College
- B.A. in Biblical Studies, Dallas Baptist University
- The Trinityin the Book of Revelation: Seeing Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in John's Apocalypse (IVP Academic, forthcoming)
- "The Sonship of Christ in the Contexts of Mission: Chalcedonian Retrieval as Missiological Necessity among Muslims," Southeastern Theological Review 12/1 (2021), with Matthew Aaron Bennett
- Co-General Editor, Christian Standard Commentary series (Holman, 2020-present)
- "What Christ Does, God Does: Surveying Recent Scholarship on Christological Monotheism," Currents in Biblical Research 17/2 (2019)
- "The Identification of Jesus with YHWH in the Book of Revelation: A Brief Sketch," Criswell Theological Review 14/1 (2016)
- Hanging out with family
- Paying way too much attention to the NFL and NBA.
What excites me most about teaching at Cedarville is the ability to help shape the next generation of Christian leaders in an environment that emphasizes the importance of Scripture for shaping minds and hearts.