Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers
The American Heart Association BLS Healthcare Provider course provides healthcare professionals with training in life-threatening emergencies, CPR, using an AED, and relieving choking. The course is intended for healthcare providers, such as physicians, nurses, paramedics, emergency medical technicians, respiratory therapists, physical and occupational therapists, physician's assistants, residents or fellows, or medical or nursing students in training, aides, medical or nursing assistants, police officers, and other allied health personnel. Upon successful completion of the course, students will be awarded an AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers Course Completion card that is valid for two years. If there is room in our EMT course, others may join in the training, which typically occurs in September and January.
Time: 6 p.m. - 10 p.m.
Place: Cedarville University
*Although EMT, Nursing, and Pharmacy students are welcome, it should be noted that training in BLS is part of the curriculum for these majors. Before registering, these students should consult their advisor.
Class size is limited. Contact the Continuing Education office for more information. Once availability is confirmed, there are no refunds.
American Heart Association Skills Test
As a service to those interested in CPR certification, the American Heart Association Skills Test is offered the last Saturday of February. Registrants will be required to complete online training before attending and must to bring the certificate of completion for the online session. Students are allowed up to 60 days after the completion of the online part of the course to complete the skills session. Upon successful completion of all required parts, an AHA Course Completion card will be issued. This card is valid for two years. Our instructors are qualified to test for Heartsaver CPR AED, Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED, and Heartcode BLS. Students may choose the course according to their interest or need. It is the responsibility of those taking the course to confirm with their place of employment as to whether this meets their requirements.
- The AHA Heartsaver CPR AED course is designed for those with limited or no medical training. It prepares students to provide CPR and use an AED in a safe, timely, and effective manner. The online portion is about 1.75 hours long.
- The AHA Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED course is designed for those with limited or no medical training. It prepares students to provide first aid, CPR, and use an AED in a safe, timely, and effective manner. The online portion is about 4 hours long.
- The AHA Heartcode BLS course is designed for healthcare professionals and other personnel who need to know how to perform CPR and other basic cardiovascular life support skills in a wide variety of in-facility and prehospital settings. The online portion is about 1.75 hours long.
Those interested should
- Contact the Continuing Education office before registering for the online AHA course. Providing there is room, the student will be assigned a twenty minute session, which includes an overview of the skills and test (parts 2 and 3 of the course). Students should wait for confirmation of enrollment before continuing to step 2.
- Complete the appropriate online portion through AHA (see links above).
- Bring the certificate of completion to the skills test. Upon successful completion of the online training, a certificate will be issued, which must be submitted the day of the skills training and test.
Students must be 12 years old to participate.
Nursing and Pharmacy students should note that CPR training is part of their curriculum. Before registering, these students should consult their advisor.
Cost: $35 for Heartsaver CPR and First Aid CPR; $20 for BLS (does not include the cost of online training)
Registration: February 1 - March 25, 2019
Date: March 30, 2019
Time: Assigned times beginning at 9:00 a.m.
Place: Cedarville University
What to bring: certificate of completion from the online session
Dress code: modest, but comfortable clothing; no shorts
Class size is limited. Once the registration deadline has passed, there are no refunds.