Stephen Schuler, PhDChair, Professor of English
Dr. Schuler grew up in the cornfields of northern Illinois, where he was homeschooled K-12. He always wanted to teach, and in college he decided he would become an English professor.
Education and Credentials
- PhD in English, Baylor University
- BA in English Education, Grace College
- The Augustinian Theology of W. H. Auden. University of South Carolina Press: August 2013. ISBN 978-1611172430
- “Of Battles and Books: Raphael’s Anachronisms in Paradise Lost” Milton Quarterly 57.1-2 (2023). 13-24.
- “Eternal Duration: Milton on God’s Justice in Everlasting Time” Milton Studies 61.2 (2019). 163-185.
- “The Pagan Sacrament: Venus and Eros in C. S. Lewis’s Till We Have Faces” Renascence Journal 67.4 (2015): 295-310.
- “‘Turn her desperate longing to love’: W. H. Auden, Denis de Rougemont, and Lyric Love Poetry” in Christianity and Literature 59 (2010): 619-644.
- Poetry, Shakespeare, British literature
- When not reading, researching, or teaching, Dr. Schuler enjoys playing and coaching recreational soccer, and he likes building furniture using hand tools and traditional joinery.
- He will always say yes to a good cup of coffee.
I am here because I love God, I love students, and I love language and literature. I also love Cedarville's friendly, supportive atmosphere, the resources available for research, and — most of all — our common devotion to Jesus Christ.