Brian Shook, DMAAssistant Academic Vice President, Assistant Vice President for Graduate Enrollment
Dr. Brian Shook is the Assistant Vice President for Graduate Enrollment. Prior to coming to Cedarville, he served as a faculty member, department chair, and assistant dean in the College of Fine Arts and Communication at Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas. From 2004 to 2009, Dr. Shook toured the United States with The King’s Brass and from 2009 to 2021 he served as principal trumpet of the Symphony of Southeast Texas, where he was a featured soloist with the orchestra on three separate occasions.
Dr. Shook’s doctoral research led him to write a biography of New York Philharmonic trumpet legend William Vacchiano. Furthering his research after graduation, Dr. Shook went on to publish his book Last Stop, Carnegie Hall: New York Philharmonic Trumpeter William Vacchiano in May of 2011. He has presented his lecture on Mr. Vacchiano’s life and career at The Juilliard School, Manhattan School of Music, University of North Texas, and the International Trumpet Guild Conference.
Dr. Shook is a Vincent Bach Performing Artist and Clinician, and is the creator of the popular YouTube channel “Trumpet Master Classes” that serves as an educational resource for trumpeters and music educators.
Education and Credentials
- D.M.A., Arizona State University
- M.M., Arizona State University
- B.A., Cedarville University
- Last Stop, Carnegie Hall: New York Philharmonic Trumpeter William Vacchiano. Denton: UNT Press, 2011. (224 pages, 32 illustrations, and 36 photos)
- "Principles of Budgeting: A Training for Department Chairs." Comprehensive video training course offered by Academic Impressions.
- "Praise & Celebration," The King's Brass, Summit Records, compact disc.
- "American Mood," The King's Brass, Summit Records, compact disc.
Spending time with family, reading, and soccer (Go LFC!)
God worked in amazing ways in my life through professors, classes, and friendships while I was a student at Cedarville, and I am thrilled to return to campus where I have the tremendous opportunity to be used by God in transforming the lives of our students for His glory.