Student health care is provided by University Medical Services (UMS), an ambulatory student health care facility that is located adjacent to the Doden Field House. UMS offers a physician and several nurse practitioners on a scheduled basis so that health care services are available to students right on campus. UMS also works closely with area hospitals and specialists to coordinate referrals for students to specialty physicians and for other medical services such as radiology testing. UMS is open during the academic term, however there are times when a student may need health care from other local healthcare providers (evenings, weekends, or when a provider is not available for acute illnesses or emergent situations). If students need healthcare when UMS services are not available, students are encouraged to go to a local urgent care or emergency room facility, or for true medical emergencies, students should call 911.
Physician and Nursing Services
UMS hires qualified physicians, nurse practitioners, and registered nurses to provide quality health care for you while you are at Cedarville. With services similar to a family physician office, UMS offers:
- Physician and nursing visits when you are ill or injured.
- Physicals for athletic participation, School of Nursing and School of Pharmacy clinical experience, EMT class clinicals, mission endeavors, and some work-related physicals.
- Allergy injections as prescribed by your private allergist.
- Routine immunizations.
- Immunizations for international travel
- Laboratory services.
- Special medical services such as suture removal and wound care.
- Follow-up visits after discharge from a hospital or urgent care facility.
- Registered dietician visits as ordered by UMS medical staff.
- Referrals for health care needs that are beyond the scope of practice for UMS, such as referrals to area specialists, radiology facilities, urgent care facilities, or local emergency departments.
Another health care service available to students on campus is Cedarville University Emergency Medical Services (CUEMS), a volunteer EMS ambulance ministry manned with students who are nationally and state-certified EMTs and/or paramedics. CUEMS responds primarily to emergencies on Campus. However, CUEMS also serves our community by providing mutual aid to Cedarville Township Volunteer Fire Department and the surrounding community when needed. The students who are involved in this ministry volunteer their medical expertise to the Cedarville University family and strive to demonstrate Christ's love and compassion to their fellow students in time of need. Students who are experiencing a medical emergency should always call 911.
Cost for Services
- If you do not have health insurance, or if your health insurance does not cover services out of network, UMS has a reasonable self-pay fee schedule.
- If you want UMS to bill your health insurance, please present a copy of your health insurance card when you check in for medical care. UMS cannot guarantee health insurance coverage, please contact your personal health insurance company for coverage information.
- Co-pay fees will be collected at the time of service as dictated by your health insurance card.
- University Medical Services is not an authorized Medicare or Medicaid provider. Please let us know if you have Medicare or Medicaid for health insurance so we can assist you with finding an appropriate provider.
- Any charges associated with your visit may be charged to your student account upon request at the time of check-out.
Allergy Serum Injection Services
UMS provides allergy serum injection services by appointment during physician hours to assist you in maintaining your allergy injection schedule. Allergy serum injections are administered only if the prescribed allergy serum is supplied and accompanied by the allergy serum dosing schedule/ orders that are supplied and signed by your personal allergist.
Travel Immunization Consultations
UMS provides travel consultation and immunization services to help you to prepare for trips that are mission-related, of an educational nature, or that are personal, both abroad and within the United States. When you come for your appointment, you will have a travel consultation with a Registered Nurse who will provide you with a complete travel immunization schedule along with educational materials according to your country and area of travel. Visits are scheduled with the nursing staff and may include return visits to complete the immunizations indicated on your schedule. All travel immunization consultations are designed according to current recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control. For more information on travel immunizations, you can look up your specific destination country and recommended vaccinations at this web site.
For your convenience, University Medical Services offers a wide range of routine immunizations. To see the current Center for Disease Control schedule of recommended immunizations for the young adult, visit this web site. To schedule an immunization visit or to speak with an RN, just call the Nurse Line from any campus phone by dialing the extension # 7863, or just call 937-766-7863 from your cell phone.
UMS offers laboratory services and contracts with a local laboratory so that you have these services available right on campus. Your test reports are printed directly at UMS for evaluation by the nurse and provider. For lab testing prescribed by your family doctor, you must bring the order from your doctor to UMS prior to your appointment. UMS will fax the results to the prescribing physician. A copy of your labwork may be obtained via intracampus mail or by E-mail upon request after completion of a written authorization form (PDF), or by sending an E-mail.
UMS also offers in-house lab testing for things like mononucleosis, strep throat, and urine tests. The UMS in-house laboratory is certified by the Ohio Department of Health, Laboratory Certification Program (CLIA), and is open during regular hours.