by Madi Cannon, Public Relations Writer
Teams will offer medical care, construct buildings, evangelize, tutor and conduct children’s programs for people in need. They will serve and strengthen their host organizations while using their skills to help others in different cultural contexts.
One stateside spring break team will travel to Clarkston, Georgia, a city known as the most ethnically diverse square mile in America. Many of the city’s residents are refugees from more than 100 ethnic groups around the world.
“The topic of refugees is so sensitive to our culture today,” explained Tom Kim, a junior psychology major leading the team. “There are a lot of stereotypes and misconceptions about refugees. We want the students to open their hearts toward the refugee population and develop a Christlike attitude toward that population.”
The team of 15 students will support local ministry programs for refugee families and their children, partnering with Clarkston International Bible Church and Friends of Refugees. They will participate in a variety of service activities focused on building relationships with families.
Another team from Cedarville will partner with Medical Ministry International Canada (MMI) to provide a five-day medical clinic in Honduras. The team will provide basic medical care, medications and health education while sharing the Gospel.
“I loved the people I worked with, and it was great real-world experience for me to work in pharmacy,” said Carly Sprow, a junior pre-pharmacy major. Sprow served in Honduras with MMI last year and plans to return this spring break.
Brian Nester, director for global outreach, said that short-term trips allow students to explore their interest in long-term mission service. He hopes students on these trips will learn to pray and give to missions, regardless of whether they become full-time missionaries.
Below is a list of the planned spring break Global Outreach trips:
- Atlanta Refugee Ministry through Clarkston International Bible Church, GA
- Muslim Ministry through SEND in Dearborn, MI
- Inner City Impact in Chicago, IL
- NYC Evangelism through Hawthorne Gospel Center, NJ
- Service Over Self in Memphis, TN
- Dental Mission with SCORE International in the Dominican Republic
- Spiritual Emphasis Week with Windemere Christian School in Eleuthera, Bahamas
- Childcare and gospel presentation through Advancing the Ministries of the Gospel International (AMG) in Guatemala
- Medical Mission with Dr. Dennis Stone in Honduras
- Dormitory Update and Pastoral Encouragement in Liberia
- University Outreach through Ohio Campus Crusade for Christ (CRU) in London, England
- MK Camp through Commission to Every Nation (CTEN) in Mexico
- Child Evangelism Ministry through Advancing the Ministries of the Gospel International (AMG) in Peru
- OPE Evangelism in Lima Peru
Located in southwest Ohio, Cedarville University is an accredited, Christ-centered, Baptist institution with an enrollment of 3,760 undergraduate, graduate and online students in more than 100 areas of study. Founded in 1887, Cedarville is recognized nationally for its authentic Christian community, rigorous academic programs, strong graduation and retention rates, accredited professional and health science offerings and leading student satisfaction ratings. For more information about the University, visit www.cedarville.edu.