Aleda Chen, R.Ph., Pharm.D., Ph.D.Associate Dean, Professor of Pharmacy Practice
Dr. Chen received her Pharm.D. from Ohio Northern University and her M.S. and Ph.D. from Purdue University. Since starting at Cedarville in 2011, Dr. Chen has established an active research program, involving student pharmacists in the entire research process. Her patient research focus is on the social and behavioral aspects of pharmacy, specifically motivational interviewing and health behavior change. Her current work focuses on connecting providers and patients for vaccine conversations using motivational interviewing as part of a series of externally-funded grants. She also is interested in improving and assessing health professional student education. Dr. Chen was a member of the 2021-2022 AACP Competency-Based Education Taskforce, leading the implementation sub-group, and also was a member of the 2021-2022 AACP Council of Faculties Curricular Hoarding Taskforce. The work of these taskforces will be shared in upcoming theme issues in AJPE, and she serves as a Guest Editor for the Curricular Hoarding-themed issue in AJPE. Her research has resulted in >80 peer-reviewed articles, >200 national and international presentations, multiple funded grants, and books/book chapters.
Dr. Chen also is actively involved with the pharmacy profession, including chairing and serving on several national pharmacy organization committees and sections within APhA and AACP. She serves as the Chair-Elect of the AACP Social and Administrative Sciences (SAS) section, with her term as chair beginning in July 2023. Her scholarly, service, and research efforts within the profession led to a fellow recognition by the American Pharmacists Association in 2020. She also currently serves as an Associate Editor for the Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy journal. Dr. Chen's areas of practice have included community pharmacy and managed care.
Education and Credentials
- Dual-Title Ph.D. in Pharmacy Practice and Gerontology, Purdue University
- M.S., Purdue University
- Pharm.D., Ohio Northern University
- Certificates: American Heart Association Basic Life-Saving for Healthcare Providers, Immunization Delivery Skills, Smoking Cessation, Medication Therapy Management
- Licensed Pharmacist: Indiana, Ohio
- Validation of an Empathy Scale in Pharmacy and Nursing Students (M. E. Kiersma, Aleda M.H. Chen, K. S. Yehle, et al.) American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education (2013)
- Immediate and Longitudinal Effects of Incorporating Health Literacy and Cultural Competency into a Yearlong Pharmacy Curriculum (Stephanie M. Cailor and Aleda M.H. Chen) Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning (2015)
- Impact of Student vs Faculty Facilitators on Motivational Interviewing Student Outcomes. (Rebecca Widder-Prewett, Juanita A Draime, Ginger Cameron, et al.) American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education (2017)
- Relationships Between Health Literacy and Heart Failure Knowledge, Self-efficacy, and Self-care Adherence (Aleda M.H. Chen, Karen S. Yehle, Nancy M. Albert, et al.) Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy (2014)
- The TEACH Trial: Tailored Education to Assist Label Comprehension and Health Literacy (Sun Lee, Manorama M Khare, Heidi R Olson, et al.) Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy (2018)
- Favorite places to visit: Malaysia and Singapore (where my husband’s family lives); Lakeside, Ohio
- Hobbies: Spending time with my family, traveling, cooking
- Why Cedarville:I am honored to be a part of a University that emphasizes servant leadership, where students are motivated to put the patient’s best interest at the forefront. Further, I desire to help drive a data-driven environment that ensures our graduates are team-ready, practice-ready pharmacists who demonstrate character and innovative problem-solving.