Justin Cole, R.Ph., Pharm.D.Chair and Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Director, Center for Pharmacy Innovation
BiographyDr. Justin Cole's teaching, research, and clinical interests are centered around pediatric pharmacy practice. He also directs the School of Pharmacy's Center for Pharmacy Innovation. Prior to joining the faculty, Dr. Cole served as Pharmacy Clinical Coordinator at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, where he was responsible for oversight and strategic development of clinical and investigational drug services within the health system. Dr. Cole is active in several national pharmacy organizations, including the Pediatric Pharmacy Advocacy Group and the American College of Clinical Pharmacy, and has written book chapters for both organizations. His primary research interests include the treatment of pediatric neurologic conditions, immunizations, and integration of real-world technology into the classroom. He continues to practice as a pediatric clinical pharmacist. Dr. Cole is also active in medical missions efforts, both domestically and internationally. He currently serves as Pharmacy Lead for Grace Clinics of Ohio's Hardin Clinic, a free medical clinic in downtown Columbus, Ohio.
Education and Credentials
- Pharm.D., Ohio Northern University
- Certifications: Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist
- Licensed pharmacist: Ohio
- Seizure Action Plans for Pediatric Patients With Epilepsy: A Randomized Controlled Trial (Dara VF Albert, Jennifer J Moreland, Ann Salvator, et al.) Journal of Child Neurology (2019)
- Impact of Obesity on Fosphenytoin Volume of Distribution in Pediatric Patients (Ashley B Prusakov, Anup D Patel and Justin W. Cole) Journal of Child Neurology (2018)
- Clinical Exome Sequencing Reports: Current Informatics Practice and Future Opportunities (Rajeswari Swaminathan, Yungui Huang, Caroline Astbury, et al.) Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (2017)
- Impact on ED Utilization and Associated Costs of Abortive Seizure Medications Using an Accountable Care Organization Database (Sunjay Nunley, Daniel M. Cohen, Justin W. Cole, et al.) Journal of Pediatric Epilepsy (2016)
- Infantile Spasms Respond Poorly to Topiramate (Amanda Weber, Justin W. Cole and John R. Mytinger) Pediatric Neurology (2015)
Cleaning Up Opioid Crisis
Dr. Justin Cole discusses alternatives to opioids in specific cases that doctors and pharmacists are using to help curb addiction.
Why Prescription Drugs are Costly
Dr. Justin Cole discusses why prescription drugs are so expensive for so many people.