- About the School
- Academic Programs
- Faculty and Staff
- Center for Pharmacy Innovation
- Experiential Programs
- Global Impact
- Celebrating Success
- Contact Us
Zach Jenkins, R.Ph., Pharm.D.Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Director of Experiential Programs
Dr. Jenkins completed a postgraduate pharmacy practice residency with Summa Health System, where he focused his training in adult internal medicine and infectious disease. Throughout both his graduate and postgraduate education, Dr. Jenkins was frequently involved in teaching medical and pharmacy students at Northeast Ohio Medical University, which ultimately led him to earn a graduate teaching certification. Dr. Jenkins is an active member of the pharmacy profession, and he currently serves within the leadership of several professional organizations. His research interests include subjects related to infectious disease, antimicrobial stewardship, interprofessional education, and student professional development. Dr. Jenkins maintains a clinical practice in infectious disease at Atrium Medical Center and Miami Valley Hospital, where he helps to lead the antimicrobial stewardship initiative for the Premier Health Partners system.
Education and Credentials
- Board Certification in Pharmacotherapy
- Pharm.D., Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED)
- Pharmacy Practice Residency, Summa Health System
- Teaching Certificate, Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED)
- Teaching and Learning Certificate, American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP) Academy
- Antimicrobial Stewardship Certification, Society of Infectious Disease Pharmacists (SIDP)
- Immunization Certificate, American Pharmacists Association (APhA)
- Medication Therapy Management Certification, American Pharmacists Association (APhA)
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Instructor Certification, American Heart Association (AHA)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Instructor Certification, American Heart Association (AHA)
- Fong G, Chahine E, Justo J, Narayanan N, Heil E, Stover K, Cho J, Jenkins Z, MacDougall C. Assessment of antimicrobial pharmacokinetics curriculum across schools and college of pharmacy across the United States. J Am Coll Clin Pharm. 2021; epub ahead of print. doi: 10.1002/jac5.1541.
- Staudt AM, Draime JA, Deitschmann N, Norfolk M, Jenkins ZN. Training student pharmacists to facilitate human immunodeficiency virus point-of-care testing. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2020 Oct;12(10):1245-1251. doi: 10.1016/j.cptl.2020.05.004.
- Boyle JA, Jenkins ZN, Franz TT, Cather CW, Deitschmann NK, Harper NG, Dittmer A, Hartline C. Evaluation of student perceptions of introductory pharmacy practice experiences. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2020 Jun;12(6):633-640. doi: 10.1016/j.cptl.2020.01.029.
- Jenkins Z, Laswell E, Stute N, Bluhm L. Utilizing an ICU teaching rounds simulation to enhance collaborative skills and sepsis pharmacotherapeutic knowledge. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2019;11(9):1.
- Fox N, Haines L, Bull R, Jenkins Z, Ballentine J, Burdette S, Pleiman C. Potentially inappropriate durations of anti-infective therapy at hospital discharge despite inpatient antimicrobial stewardship. Open Forum Infectious Disease. 2017;4(Suppl 1):S330.
- Favorite Places to Visit: Glacier National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, Yellowstone National Park, Dolly Sods Wilderness
- Hobbies: Backpacking, hiking, camping, reading, board games, and baseball
Dr. Jenkins is an expert on antimicrobial resistance, infectious diseases, antibiotic use and development, and infectious outbreaks.
I am excited about the opportunity to help make a difference in the lives of pharmacy students as they continue to grow in their faith.
Prescription Drug Recall
Dr. Zach Jenkins appears on WHIO TV to discuss why doctors might still use recalled medicine.
Immunization and the Variant Strains of COVID-19
With three vaccines available for American citizens, will the COVID-19 pandemic begin to cease? Infectious disease expert Dr. Zach Jenkins talks with Sharon Bowes about the pandemic and the new variant strains that could strengthen the virus.