Andrew Straw, R.Ph., Pharm.D.Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice
Dr. Straw completed his Pharm.D. at Ohio Northern University in 2014. He completed a post-graduate year one community pharmacy residency and teaching certificate in conjunction with Lewis Drug and South Dakota State University. Dr. Straw’s main areas of focus during residency were medication therapy management, medication synchronization, motivational interviewing, and patient counseling. He enjoys incorporating technology into pharmacy practice and developed several interactive tools for both the academic and pharmacy setting. His research concentrated on the impact of implementing a new worksite-based immunization service for local businesses.
As Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Dr. Straw is interested in pursuing his passion of direct patient care services. At his primary practice site, Rocking Horse Center Community Health Center, he helped to establish a collaborative agreement with physicians. This agreement allows the pharmacy team to initiate, discontinue, and adjust medications for patients with diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood clotting disorders. Dr. Straw loves to utilize students at this site and integrate them into medication counseling, lifestyle coaching, motivational interviewing, and therapeutic plan development. In the classroom, Dr. Straw has a passion for leveraging technology to enhance the learning experience.
Education and Credentials
Graduate of Ohio Northern University
Board Certified in Advanced Diabetes Management (BCADM)
- Incorporation of Electronic Health Record Patient Cases to Address the Pharmacists’ Patient Care Process (Justin W. Cole, Stephanie M. Cailor, Zach Jenkins, et al.) American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education (2018)
- Heart for the Broken (Emily M. Laswell, Brenda L. Pahl and Andrew M. Straw) Christianity and Pharmacy (2017)
- Prevention of Contact Lens-Related Disorders (Aleda Chen and Andrew M. Straw) Handbook of Nonprescription Drugs: An Interactive Approach to Self-Care (2017)
- Incorporation of Electronic Health Record Patient Cases to Address the Pharmacists’ Patient Care Process (Justin W. Cole, Zach Jenkins, Andrew Straw, et al.) American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy Annual Meeting (2018)
- Got Pharmacy? How to Utilize Pharmacists in Your Clinic (Andrew M. Straw) Christian Community Health Foundation (2017)
Hunting, biking, softball, gardening, acoustic guitar, woodworking