One Thousand Days Transformed - The Campaign for Cedarville
A group of international students studying in the grass by Cedar Lake

Family Pay Option FAQs

Can Dual Enrollment Family Pay Option courses satisfy high school graduation requirements?

Yes. If you attend public or private school, check with your school counselor regarding your high school's policy.

Courses do not have to be taken for high school credit, however, they can be taken for college credit only.

How are online courses structured?

Cedarville’s online courses are developed in the Center for Teaching and Learning to take best advantage of online learning technology and pedagogy. Courses are asynchronous, meaning that there is no set time that you will meet together with your entire class. Courses are divided into one-week units, so you can accomplish weekly requirements at your own convenience as long as you keep up with the course calendar. 

Courses are formatted into 8-week, 12-week, or 16 week periods. A three-semester-hour course that runs 12 or 16 weeks will require about 8-10 hours of study time per week. Eight-week courses will require 12-14 hours of weekly study time. Students who set aside time daily to interact with course material will experience the most success. 

Online courses are necessarily more student-centered than face-to-face classes. Required learning activities also include reading, writing, discussion boards, quizzes, tests, and group projects. When video content is included, it is made up of smaller, more focused clips. Sometimes these are instructional videos, but often these clips deliver content to which the student must react in writing.

Online courses that have labs (Principles of Biology or Principles of Earth Science) require access to a virtual lab. 

Your computer must meet these basic and minimum requirements, and you must have access to high-speed Internet.

How much do Family Pay Option courses cost?

The Dual Enrollment Costs webpage provides current tuition rates for Family Pay Option courses. Typically, Dual Enrollment tuition represents an 85% savings off the University's per-credit-hour undergraduate tuition rate. Course fees and textbooks are extra. Most courses do not have any fees.

What if I decide to drop a course?

Drop/refund deadlines for Dual Enrollment students differ from drop/refund deadlines posted on the registrar's website for undergraduate students. Your Dual Enrollment program adviser will inform you of the deadlines and send periodic reminders to your Cedarville University email account. If you have questions about the drop/refund process, contact your program adviser.

Before dropping a course, consult with your Dual Enrollment program adviser and with your high school guidance counselor, carefully considering the impact on both high school graduation requirements and your college transcript. You may need to consider the impact on high school athletic eligibility.

To initiate the process of dropping a course, contact your program adviser.

When does eligibility for Dual Enrollment pricing end?

Dual Enrollment pricing extends through Cedarville University's spring semester of a student's senior year (the fourth year) of high school, even if that student completes his/her graduation requirements at some later time in the summer. The University retains the right to determine that a student should be considered a high school graduate and therefore no longer eligible for Dual Enrollment pricing.

I am home schooled. What if I decide to extend my high school education to a 5th year?

Students are eligible to take courses until they have completed their fourth year of high school or reached the graduation date given in the initial application, whichever is earlier.

Eligibility for Dual Enrollment Family Pay Option pricing expires at graduation from high school, as established at the time of admission as a Dual Enrollment student. Fifth-year high school students are not eligible for Dual Enrollment Family Pay Option pricing.

What if I decide to take a semester off?

If you decide to take a semester off, inform your program adviser of your plans. You will not have to complete a new application to register for any subsequent semester as long as you are still a high school student. To register, you will be asked to sign the Financial Responsibility Agreement for the upcoming term and complete a Course Request Form.


Contact your program adviser for more information.

What if my high school break does not coincide with Cedarville University's break?

Students are expected to participate in their Cedarville University class according to the class calendar and complete assignments on time.

Why do I have to submit ACT or SAT scores to register for a math or English course?

Because of the rigor of Cedarville’s courses, both Dual Enrollment and undergraduate students must demonstrate proficiency in the areas of mathematics and English. Students may satisfy the mathematics proficiency by scoring 19 or higher on the math section of the ACT or by scoring 530 or higher on the math section of the SAT. Students may satisfy the English proficiency by scoring 21 or higher on the English section of the ACT or by scoring 550 on the Evidence Based Reading and Writing section of the SAT. 

Students who have PSAT scores but who have not yet taken the ACT or SAT may register for courses other than math or English until they submit either ACT or SAT scores that demonstrate proficiency.

Will Dual Enrollment courses transfer to other universities?

Yes. Cedarville University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission ( and is certified by the Ohio Board of Regents.

It is wise to contact the registrar's office of the receiving institution prior to registering for any college course to confirm transferability.

Will I participate in an orientation prior to getting started with my class?

Students who live within driving distance of campus will attend an on-campus Orientation Day held annually in early August. 

Students who are not within driving distance or who begin classes spring or summer term can complete orientation activities online. Program advisers work closely with students to ensure they are prepared to begin class.


Contact a program adviser for more information.