One Thousand Days Transformed - The Campaign for Cedarville
Students study by the lake

Seeking Shalom - Student Complaint and Conflict Resolution

Shalom... peace... harmony... wholeness

As followers of Jesus Christ, we are called to live in peace in harmony with others, seeking right relationships that are whole.

At Cedarville University, as conflicts or concerns occur, we want to provide a means of resolution that goes beyond voicing a complaint, filing a grievance, or appealing a decision. Our goal in every interaction – from the mundane to the most challenging – is to demonstrate right relationships with each other as fellow members of the body of Christ. In this process of "seeking Shalom," we honor our Lord and live out the ideals of a truly Christian learning community.

Need: Information

Are you simply looking for answers to a question or need? First, seek information on your own.

  • Refer to department’s website. Do you know the office or department that is responsible for your issue? Check the website to see if you can find the answer to your question or identify a contact person.
  • Consult the student handbook to see if you can find the answer to your issue there. The Cedarville Experience, contains answers to many questions about being a part of the Cedarville University community.
  • Check  myCU. It also houses a number of essential academic, student life, business office, and Christian ministry electronic processes.

Need: Conflict Resolution

Do you have a conflict or concern that needs addressed? Follow these steps to resolve the issue:

First Try

  1. Gather information and consider all aspects of the situation. Pray for clear thinking, understanding, wisdom, and humility as you pursue resolution of the issue. Meditate on Scriptures that will prepare you for whatever dialogues may occur (Prov. 3:5; Phil. 4:6; Col. 3:12; Phil. 2:3-8; James 1:5 and 3:17; Prov. 3:13-18; Micah 6:8; 1 Cor. 10:31).
  2. Seek the advice and assistance of a spiritually mature “counselor” who is knowledgeable about the issue (Prov. 11:14, 12:15, 15:22, 19:20 and 24:5-6).
  3. Seek resolution, when possible, through the individual most directly involved in the problem and the solution. If that is not feasible, go to that person’s direct supervisor (1 Cor. 14:40; Heb. 13:17; Rom. 13:1; 1 Pet. 2:13).

Take it to the Next Level

  1. Continue to the next level if the issue or concern is not resolved.
  2. Use the appropriate appeal or grievance processes as necessary to achieve justice, with the ultimate goal of glorifying God and accomplishing His purposes throughout (1 Cor. 10:31; Micah 6:8; Col. 3:22-25; Psalm 51:10; 2 Tim. 2:15; Phil. 2:12-13).

For Ethical and Legal Concerns

Contact Lighthouse to report a potentially unethical or illegal behavior within the University. This service allows students or employees to safely and anonymously (if desired) report concerns to the University’s management. While this is not intended to replace or supersede existing procedures for reporting problems or concerns, it is available when doing so is perceived as threatening or when no satisfactory or timely response was effected through normal channels. This service is provided through a partner company and can be accessed by calling toll-free 1-844-910-0044 or by visiting the online ethics reporting system.

External Accrediting Bodies and Government Agencies

Cedarville University’s regional accreditor is the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).  The HLC will receive concerns about matters that suggest substantive noncompliance with HLC Criteria only after students have fully utilized the institution’s internal grievance procedures. Access the HLC complaint process.

If an issue cannot be resolved through the university’s internal processes, Ohio residents may choose to contact the Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE).  Out of state students in online courses, who reside in State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) states, may also choose to file a written complaint with the  ODHE.  As an institutional member of SARA, Cedarville University accepts ODHE's oversight in resolving complaints from students residing in SARA states. Out of state students may also choose to file a complaint with the appropriate authority in their state of residence.  Contact information for each state's higher education oversight agency is available on Cedarville's Complaint Resolution Contacts by State for Online Programs page.