Department of English, Literature, and Modern Languages
If you studied French, German, or Spanish in high school and are interested in taking language courses at Cedarville, you should plan to take one of the Modern Language placement tests during Getting Started Weekend. These tests will determine the level of language study that would be appropriate for you to take at Cedarville. The free tests are scheduled for Sunday, August 16, at 4 p.m. in the BTS and will take approximately 60 minutes to complete. For more information, contact Mrs. Louise Grandouiller (French), Dr. Annis Shaver (German) or Dr. Barbara Loach (Spanish).
Thank you for your interest in the Department of English, Literature, and Modern Languages. Our programs produce men and women who communicate effectively and think deeply, cross-culturally, and creatively about the ideas that have shaped and continue to shape our world.
The Cedarville University Department of English, Literature, and Modern Languages will:
- Instruct students to write well with wisdom, beauty, and integrity.
- Teach students to read literature with Christ-like empathy and biblical discernment.
- Instruct students in the historical, social, and intellectual background of a variety of texts and cultures.
- Teach students to analyze language structure, change, and use in society.
- Prepare students for graduate and professional work in their respective fields to be salt and light in a global community.