One Thousand Days Transformed - The Campaign for Cedarville
Cedarville's Center for Biblical and Theological Studies glowing in the evening light

Social Security Information

Social Security Info

If you plan to work in the U.S. (including on campus), you will need a Social Security number. Please visit the office of international student services or view instructions on how to apply for a Social Security number. The Social Security Administration will process your application, and a number will be sent to you in about one month.

In general, F-1 students who have been in the U.S. for less than five years are exempt from Social Security (also known as FICA) and Medicare taxes. You should be sure to bring this to the attention of your employer because many employers are not familiar with this provision of the tax laws. If you need more information about the F-1 Social Security and Medicare tax exemption, please contact the office of international student services. Students in F-1 status are subject to all other taxes that may apply: federal, state, and local.

Contact Us

Applying for Social Security

International Students seeking a social security number/card must:

1. Read up on the procedure and necessary documents.

2. Get your ,I-94 form, fill it out, & print it.

3. Get your Employer letter:

If you are an F-1 student and eligible to work on campus, you must provide a letter from your designated school official that:

  • Identifies you;
  • Confirms your current school status; and
  • Identifies your employer and the type of work you are, or will be, doing.
  • We also need to see evidence of that employment, such as a recent pay slip or a letter from your employer.

Your supervisor must sign and date the employment letter.

This letter must describe:

  • Your job;
  • Your employment start date; (even if you already started, the official date must be at least 2 weeks away)
  • The employer’s EEOC number
  • The number of hours you are, or will be, working; and
  • Your supervisor’s name and telephone number.

4. Once you are at the Social Security Office be sure to:

  • Have your passport
  • Have your I-20
  • Have your I-94
  • Have your employer letter ready
  • Identify yourself as a student of Cedarville University, have your student ID card ready

Be sure the officer knows you are working on campus at the University