One Thousand Days Transformed - The Campaign for Cedarville
Cedarville's Center for Biblical and Theological Studies glowing in the evening light

Tax Facts for International Students

Who Needs to File an Income Tax Return?

Each spring by April 15 everyone who was physically present in the United States on a F-1 or F-2 visa at any time during the previous calendar year must file a Federal Income Tax Return. This includes dependents. Federal Income Tax Returns are to be completed and mailed by April 15. If you are currently overseas or received no income during the previous calendar year, the deadline for you is June 15.

Tax Frequently Asked Questions

What Do You Need to Complete the Income Tax Return?

  • Passport and visa
  • I-20
  • I-94 Card
  • Form W-2 (if you worked and were paid at any time during the year)
  • Form 1042S (if you received a nonqualified scholarship or tax treaty benefit during the year). Those of you receiving Cedarville tuition waivers only will not receive a 1042S. Some of you may receive two different 1042S's. Gather everything that is issued to you.
  • Any Form 1099's you may have received (see below for details)
  • Cedarville ID
  • Checkbook for paying taxes or providing refund information
  • The name and office telephone number of your academic advisor or department head

After completing your tax return, you should make a copy of all documents. Make sure you sign your forms. Mail them to the IRS address supplied on the tax form.

Important IRS Forms and Documents


W-2's are issued to everyone who worked and were paid by an employer during the previous year unless all wages were exempt under a tax treaty. W-2's for Cedarville are usually mailed by January 30. If you lose the W-2 form from Cedarville, please contact the payroll office. If you worked off campus for another employer during the previous year, be sure that your off-campus employer sends you a W-2 or 1099 for that period of employment.

FORM 1042s

1042s's are usually mailed by the third week in February. 1042S's are issued to anyone who received nonqualified scholarship or tax treaty benefit during the previous year. 1042S's are issued to individuals for one or more of the following reasons:

  • If you received a nonqualified scholarship such as grant in aid, athletic scholarship or a stipend, such as a fellowship to cover living expenses.
  • If you took advantage of a tax treaty benefit which means some or all of your previous year's salary was exempt from federal taxes.

Please ensure that your current mailing address is accurate with the Cedarville office the registrar and payroll office. This is the address that will be used to mail the Form 1042S.

If you meet one of the above criteria and you have not received your Form 1042S by late February or have lost the form that was sent to you, contact the Cedarville payroll office.

FORM 1099

Some of you may also receive one or more 1099 Forms. 1099's are forms mailed to people to document a variety of possible incomes that would not necessarily be reported on a W-2 or 1042S. You may receive a 1099 for the following reasons:

  • 1099-DIV: Money made on Stocks, dividends, bonds etc.
  • 1099-G: Refund of state of Ohio taxes from previous tax year.
  • 1099-INT: If you received interest on a savings account (you do not need to report this on your Federal Income Tax Return).
  • 1099-R: Refund of any money you paid into PERS (Ohio retirement fund).
  • 1099-MISC: Money paid to you as an independent contractor

State and City Tax Returns

If you worked during the previous tax year, you are required to file a State Income Tax Return after you have completed your Federal Income Tax Return. You can only file a State Tax Return AFTER you have completed your Federal Return.

If you completed the federal Form 1040NR-EZ, you can complete the Ohio state Form IT-1040EZ.

Final Note

Please remember that even though it is called a Federal Income Tax Return, not everyone who files a "return" is going to get a refund. Many of you will find out that everything will balance out to "0." Some of you may find out that you owe more taxes to the federal government. Regardless of whether or not you are going to get a refund, you are required by law to file a tax return if you were in the U.S. on an F-1 or F-2 visa in the previous tax year. By having your checkbook with you when you complete your Federal Income Tax Return, you will have a check available to either pay any taxes you do owe or have information in order for a refund to be electronically deposited into your account.

Contact Us