Work Study

  1. Undergraduate Students
  2. Graduate Students
  3. Pharmacy Students
  4. Forms and Resources
  5. Self-Service Financial Aid
  6. Military Aid
  7. Contact Us

View all items in the Federal Aid Category »

Federal work study authorization is given to students who demonstrate significant financial need based upon their FAFSA and the EFC calculation. This program is designed to provide work and income opportunities for university students to assist in paying for college. Students in this program may qualify for up to 20 hours of work per week during the academic year, although generally students work 8 - 10 hours per week. The starting wage for all student workers is the current minimum wage for the state of Ohio.

Once a student is authorized to receive federal work study aid, they should pursue employment by applying for a campus job. Actual hiring is done by department managers.

What is Federal Work Study?
The Federal Work-Study Program provides the opportunity for undergraduate students with financial need to obtain a job which allows them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study. Employment as a student worker is similar to employment elsewhere - each student must find a job, work assigned hours, and communicate with their supervisor.

How much will I make?
Your Federal Work Study wages will be at least the current Ohio minimum wage, but it may be higher, depending on the type of work you do and the skills required. Your total Federal Work Study award depends on when you apply, your level of need, and Cedarville's funding by the federal government.

How will I be paid?
Student employees are paid bi-weekly based upon the number of hours worked during the payroll period. No Federal Work Study student may be paid by commission or fee. Cedarville will deposit your wages directly to your private bank account. Questions about your work study wages earned should be directed to Payroll (937-766-7828).

Can I work as many hours as I want?
No. The amount you earn cannot exceed your total Federal Work Study award. When assigning work hours, your employer or financial aid administrator will consider your class schedule and your academic progress.

Are Federal Work Study jobs on campus or off campus?
Both. If you work on campus, you'll usually work for Cedarville University. If you work off campus, your employer will usually be a private nonprofit organization or a public agency, and the work performed must be in the public interest.

Where may I find employment off-campus for community service work?

  • CedarCliff Local Schools: Cedarville University partners with CedarCliff Schools to provide tutors and a clinic assistant for grades K–12. All students in the CedarCliff School District may benefit from these services provided. Parents should contact the local public school administrator for their student to be considered for this program. Tutoring includes K–5 reading and math tutors, community literacy and math programs for K–5 students, after-school K–5 tutoring, and specific course tutoring in grades 6–12. There is also a clinic assistant position available. 
  • Springfield City Schools: Cedarville University also works with Springfield City Schools for after-school tutoring at Perrin Woods Elementary and Fulton Elementary Schools (grades K–5). Students at large for these schools may apply to participate in these programs with the local school administrator. Community Service work is primarily targeted at assisting students with reading skills in this program. 

Other community organizations may request to participate in the federal work study community service program as well by submitting a proposal via email to