One Thousand Days Transformed - The Campaign for Cedarville


SNAP Student Provisions

Who qualifies to apply for the SNAP benefits?

The Federal government has temporarily expanded SNAP benefit eligibility to college students who are attending at least half-time, who do not get most of their meals through a campus meal plan, and meet one of the following criteria to apply for these benefits:

  • Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $0 on your current 2021–22 FAFSA AND/OR
  • Eligible for federal work study for the current academic year (2023–24)

Each state aid office may have other qualifications to meet as well as income requirements and other criteria. Your eligibility does not guarantee these benefits. There is no shame in applying for these benefits as they are intended for individuals and families to use during financial hardships.

Where do students apply for SNAP benefits?

You will apply at the state aid office in the county of your residence.

Residents of Ohio –
Students should contact their county office of Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services (ODJFS).

For example, a student from Franklin county will contact the Franklin County ODJFS Office. Only students who are residents of Greene County (dependent students – this means your parents reside in Greene County) should apply to the local Greene County ODJFS Office.

Residential Students who are residents of states other than Ohio –
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has indicated you should apply with the local Greene County OJDFS office.

ODJFS application information:

To learn more about Ohio EBT, including income and eligibility requirements, visit the Office of Communications at the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.

Online students who are residents of states other than Ohio
SNAP Benefits are reviewed by state aid offices at the county of your residence. The national directory for states will provide details for students outside of Ohio regarding their state aid/benefit office. this means a student from Kentucky for example would contact their state aid office in their county of residence in Kentucky.

How should states verify a student's eligibility?

States must verify, prior to certification of the household, any household statement that is questionable and would impact eligibility and/or benefit amounts. States must support households in obtaining verification, provided the household is cooperating, and must accept any reasonable documentary evidence provided by the household.

Acceptable documents for verification include:

  • Eligibility to participate in a work study program for the current academic year (2023–24) may be found on the financial aid award letter provided to the student by the student's institution of higher education (Cedarville University).
  • Expected family contribution (EFC) of $0 for the current academic year (2023–24) may be found on a financial aid award letter from Cedarville University or by obtaining your Student Aid Report (SAR) from Federal Student Aid. Students are emailed a copy of their SAR from Federal Student Aid once they successfully complete the FAFSA.

Important Information

Cedarville University will provide an award letter providing the work study eligibility and/or $0 EFC information upon the student's request. Please complete a financial aid award letter request.

If you are interested in applying for these benefits, we recommend taking the following actions:

  1. Request the Cedarville University financial aid award letter from the CU Financial Aid Office.
  2. Find your local county office for your State Aid/Benefits Office for your residence.
  3. Apply with your county aid office for SNAP benefits.

Additional Resources

USDA Food and Nutrition Service

Ohio Department of Job and Family Services

More Information