Glen Duerr, Ph.D.Professor of International Studies
Dr. Glen Duerr was born in the United Kingdom, moved to Canada as a teenager, and then to the United States to obtain his Ph.D. His teaching and research interests include nationalism and secession, political violence (nuclear weapons and terrorism), and Christianity and politics. Dr. Duerr is the editor of Secessionism and Terrorism (Routledge, 2018) and author of Secessionism and the European Union (Lexington Books, 2015); his forthcoming book, Patriotism and the Cross, will be published by Resource Publications in 2020. He serves as Policy Fellow for the Wallace Institute for Arctic Security, which advocates for a robust U.S. policy for the Arctic. In addition to his academic duties, he is an "elected official" and currently serves as City Council Member in Beavercreek, Ohio.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D. in Political Science, Kent State University
- M.A. in Political Science, University of Windsor
- B.A. (Honors) in History and Political Science, University of Western Ontario
- Secessionism and Terrorism: Blood, Bombs, and Independence in Europe and Eurasia (London: Routledge, 2018)
- Secessionism and the European Union: The Future of Flanders, Scotland, and Catalonia (Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2015)
- "Civic Integration or Ethnic Segregation? Models of Ethnic and Civic Nationalism in Club Football." Soccer & Society, Vol. 18, No. 2-3 (2017), pp.204-217.
- "Problem Solving in Triplicate: Examining the Eurozone, Migrant, and Secessionist Crises in Italy, France, and the United Kingdom" in Hall, C. Jefferson, Frank Jacob, and Adam Luedtke (eds.). Migration and the Crisis of the Modern Nation State? Wilmington, DE: Vernon Press, 2018, pp.161-186.
- Spending time with my wife and three children
- Sports in general
- Running half-marathons
- Playing pool/snooker, darts, and table tennis
- Why I'm at Cedarville: The students are, in general, of exceptional quality. It is a pleasure to teach them, and to engage in integrative discussions with them aligning scripture, where applicable, with prominent theories, events, and issues in global politics. I also enjoy researching, especially nationalism and secession, and I have started a new book project examining what the Bible has to say about issues of nationalism.
President Biden and the U.S.'s Return to the World Stage
For better or for worse, the United States will be taking a different approach to the world stage under the Biden Administration. Dr. Glen Duerr talks with Sharon Bowes about this course of action on NewsPoint360.